Wednesday, February 29, 2012

House odds and ends

    Before we left for Hawaii Bart finished tiling/grouting the kitchen backspash and when we got home I sealed the grout. The last time I posted about the backsplash we were still trying to decide if we should stop the tile half way up the wall or go up to the ceiling.  We decided to take it to the ceiling and I am very pleased.

Beginning


Middle


 Almost done


    The other projects that I am in charge of are finding rugs for the living room, nursery and hallway.  I've been perusing overstock, rugs USA, rugs direct, home decorator, west elm and even Target Home Depot and RC Willey for months looking for runners for the entryway and hallway. I finally found the color and style that I love 3 weeks ago from West Elm. I ended up buying 2 runners because our hallway is 14 feet long, someday I will tape/sew them together but right now I am just happy that I got them because this rug is already "no longer available". So I am grateful that I jumped in a bought 2 and didn't talk myself out of it.



    I also bought 2 rugs from Overstock with their Presidents Day coupon for the nursery.  I only plan on keeping one rug but Bart has a favorite and I have a favorite, so no decisions have been made.  I want to chose the rug first for this baby boy nursery and then build from the floor up-it colors and textures, etc.

I'd love your opinion on the rugs.


This rug is 100% wool and it's very soft and thick. It's more masculine, was less expensive and is Bart's favorite.


This rug is more contemporary, doesn't have the multiple shades of blue (to pull from for decorating), is thinner and more expensive BUT I like it.



16 comments:

Barbaloot said...

I hope this doesn't make Bart mad---but I kinda think the one he likes looks like a beach towel. But hey---extra points for it being soft and thick.

Adam and Julia said...

That is a tough one. More colors to pull from in Barts, but much cuter for yours. I think I vote for yours.

Barb said...

I like your choice, Canessa! But the cushy factor is important- you want to be able to play on the rug!

Angela said...

I think I like Bart's fav better...or you could get a pad to put under yours...? Because it is nice to have soft & thick rugs with the little ones!

Emily said...

The tile looks amazing. I think going all the way up was a smart choice. I love it!
As for rugs, I think it depends on what your vision is for the room as a whole. I think if you keep that in mind, you'll make the right decision.

Rosie said...

love yours, plus you could take it in a feminine direction in the future if you wanted. but Bart's gets piints for thick and cushy for playing on. maybr keep lookong for something you both lovr... does that possibly exist?

Rosie said...

oh... and i dont think the rug has to have all the colors for pulling... there will be other textiles to pull from...

Emily M. said...

i'm slightly obsessed with your house. the tile all the way up looks AMAZING! i'm glad you decided to go all the way up. i like the rugs from west elm too! good choice! and for the nursery rug-- number two ALL THE WAY!!!

Leslie said...

I'm with Bart on the rug. Just because I do think it looks more masculine like you said. However, is the fact that it's more fluffy going to mean it's harder to wash/scrub because in a nursery that's important to think about.
Plus with Barts rug being less busy you can add to the walls more in decor. The other may make things look too much as a whole.

Nee said...

Since I get to see it in person, I defer my opinion until I see it with the wallpaper with my own eyes.
The problem with asking so many people their opinion is that you will get split answers and then you still have to be the one to decide!!!!!

Nee said...

By the way.....cute new blog border. It's happy!!!!

Bartus said...

Testing

Bartus said...

Barts opinion counts, after all, when the marriage operating agreement was established back in the year 2007 he was given 51% of the deciding power (based primarily in shear scale of masculinity).

With that being said, can't you just see our little baby boy conjuring up dreams of big open skies, or vast ocean vistas? Blue! oh the adventures he will have mesmerized by the rythmic blues as he cries himself to sleep.

So you can have manly (choice 1) or questionable (choice 2). But don't forget my vote is worth 51% around here!

Alison said...

Your House is looking amazing! Hope you are feeling good.

Kelsy said...

I like the second rug better too. You can call carpet companies and see if they have any carpet remnants to make into rugs. Much cheaper route if you want to look into it.

Diana said...

I may be late in the vote for a rug but I wanted to say that my vote is for the second rug that Canessa likes. There is a reason that you like that rug best - its definitely the cutest! The bathroom remodel looks great. I'm seriously kicking myself that I didn't have you give me some idea's regarding our basement bathroom when you were up here this past weekend for the baby shower. Hugs!