Sunday, August 9, 2009

MAD COW DISEASE




Welcome to my dam work!


For the last few months - much to the chagrin of my lovely wife - I have spent weekdays as the resident engineer for the rehabilitation of a dam and reservoir on the Ute Indian reservation north of Roosevelt, Utah (northeastern region of the state). I have to deal with lots of dam stuff; dam equipment, dam plans, dam weather, dam people, and even dam cattle (they are in our construction zone, so I feel like they have earned this prestigious title)!

Well, in an effort to lose the last of my extra cruise weight (yes, the cruise was in January - and I am still feeling the affects of the all you can eat fish and chips), I began my sojourn in the foothills of the Uintah mountains with the goal of running around the drained reservoir each night. The two and a half miles seemed like twenty the first time, and each subsequent time it seemed to get a little longer. After faithfully running each night for about a week and a half the relief I had been looking for came in the form of a yearling bull. Twice my weight and size, a black bull decided he didn't like that I was running on his road. I figured a rock or two, or perhaps a mean human holler might remove him from my path - alas, he became even more upset with me. He pounded the ground with his hoof thingy's, threw his head around - bull snot flying all around - and came closer to me.

I thought that "mad cow disease" had something to do with a virus or bacteria or something, but this bull clearly had a serious case of "mad cow disease". I am a little crazy - but not completely crazy. I figured this was a good excuse to abandon my lofty running goal, and carefully return to my trailer.
Needless to say, I haven't got any more exercising done at the dam and I haven't lost the last of the cruise pounds. But I guess I didn't really want to run around the lake anyway, say the dam bull made for a good excuse.
Tah tah for now - stay tuned for our next episode "DAM WORK FOR DUMMIES"

5 comments:

Matt and Joanna said...

This is an awesome post. I'm glad he didn't start charging you-that would have been really crazy.

Diana said...

Very funny. Brian is always talking about you "dam" engineers. Good luck getting those last few pounds of weight off.

Leslie said...

This post totally made me laugh! Working at a Dam sure makes for some funny jokes. I'm glad Bart didn't get killed by the Bull.

Adam Cuppett said...

That's the best dam post ever! I still want to come up there and see your dam project and all that cool dam equipment.

Adam Cuppett

Sjaanie said...

Hey, It's great to hear a little about what you do at the job site! Once at Bear Lake, we went on a dirt road, up a canyon, and a bull got in the road, and wouldn't let us back down the canyon. We were laughing soooo hard! But he was threatening Jared's sister's car, not ours. We really wondered if we'd ever get out of the canyon! I guess it's better to face off with a mad cow when you are in your car!