Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Miss Iron County

I have always wanted to judge a "beauty" pageant and this August I was able to do so. I was invited to be the novice judge for Miss Iron County 2009. The pageant was held in Cedar City and 12 contestants participated in the pageant. Since Miss Iron County goes to Miss Utah and Miss Utah goes to Miss America I had to read all sorts of information from the Miss America organization and go through a judges orientation. There is so much more that goes into these pageants then just the beauty part. The 2 directors in Cedar City have spent months with these girls helping them get ready for the pageant- mock interviews, learning how to walk in high heels, choosing the best evening gown and swimsuit and polishing their talents. I spent weeks reading over the contestants bios, platforms and deciding on questions to ask them during their private interview. We ended up crowning Delaney Westfall (photo) as the new Miss Iron County. I know that pageants aren't for everyone but my experience with being the D-Queen and in the Days of 47 royalty has been nothing but rewarding. I got scholarships, I made lasting friendships, got new clothes, I learned to feel more comfortable on stage, answer questions with both small and large audiences and I played my flute much more than my mom ever thought I would. :) If anyone has ever been interested in doing a pageant I would highly recommend it...what do you have to lose? Nothing, in my opinion.

2 comments:

Diana said...

Wow, what a process! It does sound rewarding - and what a great experience for you to be a judge. That's awesome!

Barbaloot said...

I've always wanted to go to the Miss Orem or Miss Utah pageants and I never have. One day I'm gonna go. That's awesome that you got to judge.