Wednesday, September 21, 2011

To wallpaper, or not to wallpaper, that is the question.

I need to first start off by asking my mother for forgiveness for all the mean comments I made to her about how out of style her ice cream cone pants (aka- skinny jeans), bug eye sunglasses and wallpaper were. I have eaten my words because I have decided to try my hand/luck at wallpaper. I must admit I am nervous though, thus I am only doing wallpaper in one room and only above the wainscot.
Right now the room is the "2nd bedroom" and it is being used as the computer room, Bart's closet and my elliptical room. Someday when we have a child it will be the nursery, so I need this wallpaper to be gender neutral in theme and color and hopefully not too trendy-I would hate to have the wallpaper go out of style before we even have kids.

This is what the room looks like, I gave you a picture before the wainscot was painted so you can see what level it is. I want the wallpaper above the wainscoting up to the ceiling. Remember that the floors are dark brown and the walls are white-a very neutral color palate.



Choices, choices, choices. 

First up we have Imperial Trellis in charcoal, I left it running vertical like it is marketed.


2. Imperial Trellis in silver. I turned it horizontal because that way I would only need 2 rolls and I wouldn't have to piece any seams together...and these first 2 are pricey (don't tell Bart).



Next up, three different colors from Seabrook wallpaper in the same design.
3. Silver Lattice


4. Champagne Lattice


5. Tan Lattice. I again turned this wallpaper horizontal. I think it looks just fine-what about you? I should save a lot of time if I hang the wallpaper horizontal...and again it would be less expensive.


6. Antonina Vella in brown, turned horizontal.



This is the view from the hallway. I would like for the wallpaper to be noticeable and say, "Hey come look at me",-in a good way though.

7. Lastly Antonina Vella in tan, shown vertical, the way it's meant to be.


So what do you think?  Please, please help me. If you have never commented, now is your time! Any comments or suggestions are wanted and needed.
THANKS.

15 comments:

Emily said...

Wow, those are some tough choices. Here are my picks (although they are all lovely):

Imperial Trellis in charcoal run vertically for the most bold look
or
Tan or Champagne Lattice run horizontally (it depends which looks better in person)

I can't wait to see what you land on! I would love to hang some wallpaper - darn renting.

Anonymous said...

I like #4...although all of them are beautiful! You have such a great eye for making you're home look beautiful!
p.s. I want to see you! Do you and your husband want to come over for dinner sometime? We just live in Springville.

Caitlyn said...

#1 and #5 are my picks

Matt and Joanna said...

Oh, this is so hard. Really any of them would look great. I'm kind of leaning towards Champange or Tan Lattice. I think they would be fun to decorate around in the future for a kids room. Maybe it would be fun to flip it since the other lines are vertical, but maybe it would confuse the eye? Can't wait to see it all done!

M said...

Very cute, Canessa! I can see what you mean about the horizontal orientation, but I like the vertical orientation a little better - I think that it might help the room to seem larger (with higher ceilings) if it is oriented vertically. Of course, I can't really see the space, but that's my suggestion. The Antonina Vella design is really cute.

-Monica

Kaile and Cambria said...

I like # 1 and # 6. I think they are really bold but really classy. I also think that you could hang them either way because they look good both ways,it just depends on what you like. Your house is really coming along!

Colin and Katie said...

I love love LOVE the Antonina Vella! it ties in the floors so well. also, i really like them all horizontal. since it's only at the top it flows with the room a lot more (in my opinion) plus if it's less expensive it makes it even better!

Adam and Julia said...

Hmmm........ I love them all, but I think either:
1. Antonina Vella in brown
2. Champagne lattice (I think that may be my fav)
3. Tan Lattice.

I think they all look good either horizontal or vertical. So whichever is easiest to put on your wall, do it that way.

Nee said...

You are forgiven for making fun of all my old things. Just remember that everything comes back around.
But your wallpaper choices are so much better than my orange & yellow floral from 1978!!!!
I vote for # 1, or 5, or 6. Hang them horizontal (or railroaded as they call it). Will look marvelous, darling!!
Loves

Kelsy said...

I liked #6. It has the most "pop."

Leslie said...

I like #5 or the lighter tan ones the best. I also think a lighter color would look better in a nursery than the black/dark ones. I don't think the expensive ones are enough cuter to justify but that's just my frugal self.
I need to buy a house so I can do fun things too ;(

Emily M. said...

i like #1 and #7, but i do have to admit that all of the options might date sooner than other options, just because all trellis patterns are trendy, which means trendy will date quickly. i would do it, because i love them, but just because you brought up the 'dating' issue i thought i'd throw my two cents in. your house looks amazing by the way. i love re-finding your blog and seeing the progress. ;)

Devanie said...

Antonina Vella in tan, shown vertical

or

Imperial Trellis in charcoal

Those are my preferences!

Amy said...

I vote tan lattice hung horizontally. I think the tan won't compete as much if you hang any artwork in the room and will allow other colors to be brought in for nursery decorations later. If you use the Antonina Vella, I would go with tan, again, but I think I prefer that one vertically! Good luck! You have a definite eye for decorating!

Jess said...

I like all of the lattices or the final one but horizontal. I can't wait to see what you pick!