Monday, December 12, 2011

Movie Review: Sarah's Key

I thought that you may be sick of our house projects, so I decided to would recommend a movie we rented from Redbox over the weekend.


Sarah's Key is about a Jewish Family living in France during the Holocaust.  Please, do not rent this movie if you are looking for a chick flick, a comedy, or something lighthearted....again this about the Holocaust.  Bart and I both love history and Bart especially likes learning about WWII, This movie portrayed a part of the war that I was not familiar with.

The actors did a wonderful job and the movie was filmed on site in France. This a brief synopsis of the movie. "Julia Jarmond (KRISTIN SCOTT THOMAS), an American journalist married to a Frenchman, is commissioned to write an article about the notorious Vel d’Hiv round up, which took place in Paris, in 1942. She stumbles upon a family secret which will link her forever to the destiny of a young Jewish girl, Sarah."

3 comments:

Nee said...

Oh my goodness. I read the book a month ago. It gave me bad dreams. I knew nothing about that Vel d'Hiv round up. It made me so sad, especially being a mom to think about that poor little boy in the wall. I know that it probably wasn't all true but still!!!! You're right....definitely not a happy, light movie. I'll have to rent it and see how it compares to the book.

Amy said...

I saw this movie in the theater and liked it. It is a powerful story. I was not familiar with the Vel d'Hiv roundup either. Interesting to think about the choices people make under pressure when they don't have time to evaluate the consequences. Thanks for reviewing this movie! It is sad, but worth it.

Adam and Julia said...

I have read the book and didn't even know they had made a movie. I'm sure it's a tear jerker.