Sunday, January 6, 2013

30 and counti.. 'er now subtracting!

Disclaimer: For those that may not appreciate mushy I'd skip to the next blog post.
 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY NESS!

 
I've been waiting to pass this milestone for a long time... like 15 years long. I can now officially say I've known Nessa half her life! A lot has happened since we met in sewing class 15 years ago - lot's of school, trips, dates, more school, work, weddings, more school, less work, more trips (though fewer than before), kids (one in particular), babysitting, husbandsitting, etc, etc. All the while, all of "THIS", has worked itself into the ultimate, beautiful collage that is my wife.

Grammy Nee gave little Dutch the "Just a Little Critter" collection for Christmas....  You'll have to forgive me, but it is a favorite of mine.  One of the short stories in particular, I think, is fitting for this occasion - "When I Get Bigger".  For those that are familiar with Ness, you will know she was "getting" bigger from the day she was born. But now times have changed.  I've taken the liberty to provide Nessesary commentary as it now relates to her outlook (in parenthesis) - imagine her thoughts as she reads this to our little Dutchman:


  • When I get bigger I'll be able to do lots of things - (Please save me from everything I have to do!).
  • I'll go to the corner store all by myself - (shopping is chore!).
  • I'll spend my allowance on anything I want - (of course it must be within the budget!).
  • I'll have my own watch and I'll tell everyone what time it is - (It's helpful if everybody is on my schedule!).
  • I'll go on a bus to Grandma and Grandpa's - (I don't really like the bus - or public transportation for that matter!).
  • I'll go to first grade - (Can I please go back to first grade!).
  • When I get bigger I'll have a real leather football, my own radio, and a pair of super-pro roller skates - (Where will I store all this stuff!).
  • I'll have a two-wheeler and a paper route.  I'll make lots of money - (Work is overrated and not worth the money!).
  • At the playground I'll help the little kids on the swings - (Swinging makes me sick - I guess helping all I can do now!).
  • I'll pick out my own boots at the shoe store - (Oh yes, this is a good one!).
  • I'll make a phone call and dial it myself - (if only Bart wasn't so boring to talk too....!).
  • I'll order something from a catalog - and it will come in the mail - (Only if it's on sale!).
  • When I get bigger I'll camp out in the backyard all night long - (Camping? but my new bed is lovely!).
  • Or I'll stay up to see the end of the late movie. Even if I get Sleepy, I won't go to bed - (Who wants to stay up and watch a movie when you have the luxury to go to bed?!).
  • But right now I have to go to bed... Because Mom and Dad say... (Thank goodness this story is over so I can go to bed - because I say.....!).
  • I'm not bigger yet.  (I wish I weren't already bigger!)
Getting bigger isn't always that much fun.  But having more time to experience life with your best friend is probably worth the trade-off.  I couldn't help but think back on some of the fun we've had.








 



 


I'm excited to get a little bigger with Ness - learn more, work more, play more, grow more, live more.  I'm sure, if it is up to her the next 30 will be as full as her first - and I'm lucky she'll let me go along for the ride!  I'm grateful for the wife and mother she is.  She puts up with me, worries about me, takes care of me and works hard for me.  She is even going to let me get chickens (even though she doesn't know it yet).... 

Best Birthday wishes to my Ness

I love you!
Bartus
 

4 comments:

Nee said...

what a great tribute/post for your little wifey, Bart.
I am so glad that she chose you and that you are in it with her for the long haul.

Colin and Katie said...

I love you guys!!! Happy birthday to my double sister! The next thirty years will definitely be just as fun an full i'm sure-Colin and I were just talking last night about how you two are such go-getters and you get things done! We love you three and miss you lots!

Angela said...

:) So sweet!

Amy said...

Wonderful blog post...loved the way you worked in the text of the story. Congratulations, you two! Hope your next 15 years are even more wonderful.