Saturday, July 16, 2011

Barn Doors

Over the last couple weeks Bart and I have been trying to finish up the master bedroom.  We've finished painting the ceiling and walls, put up case and base and refinished the floors. Bart put up a new ceiling fan and moved the bed in, so the last projects to that need completing are the crown moulding, closets and then all then all the spackling and touch up paint on the trim. Have I told you that I HATE touch up? 


The closets before were basic, old sliding doors with cabinets that were too high for me to reach.


So we tore out the old doors and then the cabinets and then we were at a loss for what to do. Since we took out the cabinets that left us with an 8 foot opening...not a standard closet height or width.


Then came my inspiration (Bart was very skeptical). I wanted to create barn closet doors with some old shelving that Bart had pulled out of the furnace room and was going to take to the dump.



With a little of Bart's magic, those nasty old shelves turned into beautiful barn doors for my closets. The hardware we bought from Home Depot for $5.97 a hinge and we did have to buy a couple extra pieces of wood.

Now my only dilemma is should I paint them white or leave them rustic.  What do you think?

8 comments:

Jill said...

They look amazing! I would paint them a color like red or stain them.

Nee said...

I didn't think you were going for rustic. If you leave them plain then you have to have something else in the room that looks rustic. Maybe paint them black since your bed is black. Or you could stain them the same color as your floor. Practice on a couple of leftover boards.
Loves

Rosie said...

live with them for a while before you decide. As you live with them you'll figure out what you really want to do with them. :)

Kaile and Cambria said...

I like the rustic look but it doesn't go with the rest of your room... your bed and bedspread are much classier than rustic looking. I would paint them white or stain them all the same color.

Adam and Julia said...

How did you even come up with that idea? Oh yes, you're creative, I am not. I agree with most everyone else. Nothing else, I would imagine, is rustic looking. So paint them or stain. Or both!

Colin and Katie said...

Oh I love the doors! You guys are so creative and crafty! I love the look of the stained doors but I agree that it might not fit the style of your house. However, I'm sure that anything you choose will be wonderful!

Emily said...

That was such a great idea! I'm with those who say to paint them.

Emily M. said...

love this idea. and love all your posts about updating your home. you have great taste, and your hubby has great skills! i think you should paint them either white or black-- but probably white, cause it's fresh.