Monday, July 11, 2011

Painting the bedrooms

Bart feels like he has two full time jobs-being an engineer from 6-2:30 and home renovator from 3-9:30.  So when I can, I jump in and help...but that usually means PAINTING. Now I don't paint like Bart does or like they do on HGTV.  I was taught to paint by my parents (who still use oil) and that means prepping your walls and ceilings takes 90% of the time. I like my walls to be soft and smooth which requires feeling your walls and then sanding and spackling and sanding some more and then damp wiping and then sanding and spackling some more...because you've missed spots.  I don't understand how people can paint in regular clothes!



There are a few tools that I LOVE to use when prepping and painting a room.  The first is a mouse sander.  It does the sanding for you...all you have to do is move it around your walls.  It even can get into the hard to reach area.


The next is THE GREATEST INVENTION EVER. Introducing the shur line tool. Only $4 from Home Depot. This has revolutionize the "cutting in process.  This tool is quick, easy, and it gave me a great line in between my ceiling and wall...much, much, much better than cutting in by hand.


I always worry about choosing a paint color-I am hoping that you too have been indecisive about paint before. Once I finally decide on a general color, I "HO" and "HA" over what shade and if it will be too dark or too light and how on earth I am supposed to choose from such a little paint sample.  Well I finally decided on a Benjamin Moore color called Classic Gray for the master and boring white for the 2nd bedroom (I want to try wallpaper in there). By the way, have I told you that my favorite color is gray? I think I am going to paint the entire house shades of gray.


After many hours of painting 2 coats on the ceiling and 2 coats of paint in each room, our rooms went from this
and this
TO this
Master
AND  
2nd room
Bart also put up the baseboard in both bedrooms, so they look much better. We still have all the spackling and touch up painting to do from putting up case, base and crown but it is coming along nicely.

6 comments:

Caitlyn said...

Nice work! I hate painting or maybe I just hate painting in the third trimester of pregnancy. I agree with I love gray. My house is almost all completely gray.

Leslie said...

This really is a complete home make-over! My goodness!!!

Adam and Julia said...

It looks great! When we find a house, I def plan on painting the master gray. But then that means I "have" to find new bedding.

Angela said...

You go girl! It looks awesome!

Nee said...

Your rooms look so great!!!! You'll never be sorry that you took the time to sand the walls. They will look better and last longer. You have learned well!!!
Now you can do my house next time!
Loves,
Mom

Colin and Katie said...

it looks wonderful! you have definitely become a master painter! when're we going skiing so we can come and see the house at the same time?