Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Haleakala National Park

We heard from numerous people that while on Maui we should go see the sunrise over the Haleakala crater and then bike down the mountain-so that's exactly what we did. We got picked up from our hotel at 2:50 AM from Bike It Maui and shuttled to the 10,000 foot elevation of the crater which is 7 miles across and 22 miles around.  The stars were beautiful when we first arrived and we left with a lovely sunrise.





If you are wondering why I am wearing a beanie, 2 coats, 2 pears of pants and gloves it's because it was COLD. 30 degrees with a wind chill.

After the sunrise we shuttled out of the national park and started our bike trip.  Big sturdy bikes, comfy seats, full helmets, and a 7000 foot decent over 28 miles. Lots of fun.  I loved the wind in my face and the different smells-we went through a eucalyptus grove and then a street with lots of plumeria flowers.




This last photo is of a pineapple plantation that we stopped at. It was a fun day but I was pooped by 2:00PM.  I'm lounging around the hotel tomorrow for sure :)

3 comments:

Emily said...

That looks absolutely amazing! My husband would love it. Who thinks to pack a beanie and two coats when you're going to Hawaii?!?!

Matt and Joanna said...

How fun! If I'm ever there this is definitely something I'll do, especially with a ride like that to go down!

Amy said...

I saw people make that ride on The Amazing Race and it looked like a terrifying descent! We drove. Glad you had fun! You're braver than I am.