Monday, January 30, 2012

Hawai'i, the Big Island

We said good bye to Maui and boarded our 9 passenger plane.  Have you ever been on a commercial flight with 9 passengers and the pilot?  The girl at the front desk, check us in, took our bags, weighed us with our personal item, then she and the pilot loaded the luggage and she walked us out to the plane and assigned up our seats according to weight and then she closed the airplane door. On a side note it is rather depressing to get weighed on a scale at the airport...in front or your family, PREGNANT, with clothes and shoes on...and holding your large personal item/purse...after you've eaten breakfast.  That was not a fun number and I'm not looking forward to getting "fluffier".
Flying over Maui

The main crop is still sugar cane

The 45 minute flight to the Big Island was great.  We flew over Maui, saw the Molokini Crater, saw the other islands around Maui...Lanai and some other name, saw whales off the shore of the Big Island, and flew over the lava fields. It was great and I didn't even get motion sick.  Speaking of motion sickness that is one of two down sides that I have found with being prego and travelling.  I am much more prone to motion sickness.  I vomited at the top of the Haleakala crater-I got out of the van and started to feel better but then walked passed the foul smelling outhouses and that put me over the edge-literally and figuratively. I also felt queezzy on our flight from SLC to Phoenix.  The other downer of vacationing is NO hot tubing and I love sitting in the hot tub.

Molokini Crater-has great snorkeling and scuba diving with one of the smaller islands in the background.





We made it! Only a couple minutes of bumps and turbulence but a much noisier flight than a jet.

We read, napped, walked on the beach and....ATE, after landing in Kona.  Bart found us an "all you can eat crab and prime rib" buffet.  Can you guess how many crab legs Bart ate? Just Bart? 20, twenty, two zero.  Yep that's my boy-I told him he can gain all the sympathy weight he wants to with this pregnancy.
Bart's crab

Aloha and mahalo to all those that left such nice comments about our "announcement"/Bart's goal making :)

5 comments:

Brian and Lindsey said...

Somehow I missed the announcement! Congrats:) So excited for you. Maybe we're due around the same time? Lucky girl to get to go to Hawaii-jealous!!!

Amy said...

Those are great photos from the plane! I am glad you are enjoying your trip, despite the queasiness :)

Barb said...

You are making me miss Hawaii! Especially because I can feel the freezing cold air through my drafty living room windows!

Wonderful news about the baby! I hope you have fewer sick experiences soon.

Leslie said...

You can subtract at least 20 pounds for all that extra stuff you had...at least!

Angela said...

CONGRATS CANESSA!! That's so exciting!!!!