Friday, June 17, 2011

Dark Walnut was the winner

As the title implies, 55% of you liked the dark walnut stain-beating out the special walnut which received 44%.  I love the dark walnut so that is the color I decided to stain our floors.  Now, I have never tried to refinish hardwood floors before and let me tell you it took a lot of time, left my knee's skinned and was a mess.  When I have enough money I will hire someone else to do my floors :)

How to: First you need to rent a sander and get all the supplies for the sander, then ask your dad to do it for you :)---$150


Second: After you are finished sanding you need to vacuum the floors, then damp mop the floors and then use tack cloth to get ANY dust, debris or dirt off the newly sanded floors---$10


Third: You are ready for stain.  Buy your stain (Home Depot didn't have a gallon of dark walnut-only quarts BUT Lowe's had gallons.) Mine was oil-based so then I needed to buy lacquer thinner. You also need to buy the lambs wool applicator pads and a pole.  PLEASE NOTE- if you ever do this WEAR GLOVES! You then need to apply the stain, let it sit for 5-15 minutes and then wipe the excess stain off the floors.  Buy lots of rags or cut up lots of old shirts-I learned the hard way.---$84


Next: Let the floors dry...and you can't walk on them or you will get toe prints! Reapply the stain if the floors aren't dark enough.  Note-It literally took 3 days for our 2nd coat to dry.




Fifth: After your floors are dry and not sticky anywhere, you need to apply your polyurethane. Remember to use an oil-based top coat if you are using oil-based stain and water based for water based.  Applying the polyurethane was faster and easier than staining. But, yet again you must do at least 2 coats of polyurethane to protect your floors.---$105


Last: Enjoy your new floors for one day...until you cover them with builders paper to start the painting process.

As far as the cost goes, I bought enough supplies for roughly 600 sq. feet of flooring ( 2 bedrooms, the hallway and the front entryway) with 2 or 3 coats of everything and I have some leftover for the office and the family room. 

8 comments:

Nee said...

Since I am one of the few people that have actually seen the floors, I can tell you that they turned out SUPER. They are gorgeous and the color is beautiful. I was a little hesitant about the darkness but it really is pretty. Good job, Ness!!! & Bart & Cam.
Loves,
Mom

Rosie said...

looks nice! I know a lot of people use Murphey's Oil Soap on their hardwood floors, but there is a kind of cleaner for hardwoods that will add a thin layer of poly every time you use it... I forget what its called (we have laminate), but I'll ask my friend and let you know. She's wishing she used that instead of Murphey's, and can't switch since they apparently don't play well togehter. :)

Kelsy said...

Well done, and they look beautiful! Sometimes I wish my husband was more of a do-it-yourself kind of guy. It sure saves a lot of money!

Emily said...

They look AMAZING! I love the dark walnut color. I can't wait to see them revealed with new wall paint and molding.

After reading your post, I'll start saving now to hire someone to do that work in my future house :)

Diana said...

They look fantastic! I bet all that hard work paid off. So good to see you guys on Sunday - thanks for coming!

Bartus said...

Mmmm stain. I think I still have a headache two weeks later. That's ok, I don't think I needed those brain cells anyway. I've never thought it fair to have as many as I have...... :)

Colin and Katie said...

You guys are AMAZING and it shows in your beautiful (or at least very soon to be beautiful) house! The floors look great and I can't wait to come and see the progress for my self soon!

It was so good to see you guys yesterday...it seems like it's been way too long!

Love you both,
Katie and Colin

Kaile and Cambria said...

The floors look great. I want to see them in person when I come down next week! Will you help Kaile and I with house projects if we ever have a house? Please:)