Monday, June 20, 2011

Operation case and base


Yep, we did surgery this weekend on our doors, casing, baseboard and crown moulding.  If you will take note of the lovely garbage bag on my head I learned the hard way that long hair and paint spray don't mix well-Bart called me a grandma after our first coat.


This is our "door factory" that we set up downstairs in our basement.  I thought is was ingenious of Bart to stand the doors up so we could spray both sides at once.  On a side note, I think I'm in love with the spray gun.  Setting up the spray gun we easy enough and spraying the doors and moulding was SO FAST-we had to sit around and wait for the paint to dry. The clean up was the worst part but that wasn't even THAT bad.


We decided to go with white doors and moulding to help the house look lighter and brighter. 18 doors down, now we need the hardware to hang them and then we can get the new doorknobs on...and then we can have a door back on the bathroom :)


We went to our favorite store Home Depot and loaded up as much case, base and crown as we could and then drove slowly home.  By this time we were finished with our door factory so we took them down and laid out our case, base and crown moulding. Then POOF the trim was painted.



I learned this weekend that a paint gun is the way to go. I also learned that your prep (sanding, wiping, sanding, and mopping) work makes your trim and doors look even better and that you need to open the windows and doors or you will get a headache from the fumes.

11 comments:

Nee said...

Such good blogging!!!!
You two look very professional. I wish I would have learned how to use a spray gun. I hand painted 2 coats of oil on all my case & base. What a nightmare!!! You are much smarter!!!!
Loves,
Mom

Alison said...

You guys are awesome! I can't wait to see all of your finished projects. You house is going to look amazing.

Haley and Mitch said...

I love that you are doing a play by play of your work. This kind of stuff is so exciting! I love it. I am super impressed!!

Colin and Katie said...

lookin great! canessa don't you just love being married to an engineer that can come up with odd contraptions that work perfectly?

Bartus said...

Mmmm

Bartus said...

yuck! I can't believe you didn't have a door on your bathroom..... Maybe you should have put the door factory in the bathroom- that easy you could have had 18 for extra privacy...

Adam and Julia said...

Wow, you guys are busy! And that's on top of you two working and going to school? We are impressed. We won't bug you to go out to dinner until the house is done.

Leslie said...

It's a good thing that you are enjoying this as much as Bart. Otherwise, I don't think you would be seeing much of each other.
I also loved your stained floors post. It reminded me of the EXACT process that we just went through too. Only ours was for the kitchen table so it was a much smaller scale. It's looking great. I can't wait to see it. P.S. I'm visiting the first week of September and you will be graduated so you have no excuses! Make time for me.

Callen and Liz said...

I love the plastic bag protecting your hair! You definitely need to protect those gorgeous locks of yours.

Adam Cuppett said...

I am soooooo jealous right now. I wish Leslie and I were still living there so we could come help!

Adam Cuppett

Sjaanie said...

Wow! Lots of work. You guys are so efficient!